College Student Summer Internships
Current full-time technical undergraduates and graduate students—who are familiar with Native American culture and tribal issues—are needed to support Tribal Energy Program efforts with technical project tasks. As Tribal Energy Program student interns, they'll assist a cross-disciplinary team to perform specific tasks at Sandia National Laboratories.
Internship interactions will be with Sandia's renewable energy staff, Native American tribes interested in renewable systems, and Sandia's American Indian Outreach Committee. Instant immersion in these activities is offered to work directly with experienced and internationally recognized peers. Travel will be required, including field visits to renewable energy projects.
Student applicants must be U.S. citizens, and there is a preference for Native Americans, defined as members of federally recognized Tribes, Alaska Native villages, or Alaska Corporations (excludes state-recognized tribes; bands or groups; and first peoples of Guam or Hawaii). Specific interest in renewable energy is required.
Interns will gain experience with the following renewable energy systems:
- On-grid photovoltaic (PV) installations — New Mexico
- Off-grid PV electricity system — Arizona and New Mexico
- Off-grid PV/small wind hybrid system — Arizona, Utah (Navajo), and California (Ramona)
- Large-scale commercial wind farm — New Mexico (Taiban Mesa)
- Solar power tower — New Mexico (Sandia Labs)
Distributed energy resource systems: large PV array, microturbine, fuel cell, large battery bank — New Mexico (Sandia Labs).
See all of the past student intern research reports.
Learn more about the college student interns from past summers, including their research papers, educational backgrounds, testimonials, and photos.
- 2012: Nora Cata, Chelsea Chee, Colleen Cooley
- 2011: Tammie Allen, Gepetta Billie, Chelsea Chee, and Devin Dick
- 2010: Gepetta Billie, Joni Fuenmayor, Prestene Garnerez, and Logan Slock
- 2009: Gepetta Billie, Prestene Garnerez, and Suzanne Singer
- 2008: Gepetta Billie, Amanda Montoya, Carson Pete, and Suzanne Singer
- 2007: Terry Battiest, Nick Johnson and Cherylin Wilson
- 2006: Terry Battiest, Jonathan Biron, and Lani Tsinnajinnie
- 2005: Jennifer Coots, Tanya Martinez, and Deborah Tewa
- 2004: Colin Ben, Jennifer Coots, Benjamin Mar, and Deborah Tewa
- 2003: Keith Candelaria, Velissa Sandoval, and Shaun Tsabetsaye
- 2002: Deborah Tewa