Hawaii Awards $2.6 Million to Speed EV Adoption
• Better Place for charging stations on all islands and the introduction of EVs to a rental car fleet
• AeroVironment to install charging stations on all islands, conduct grid integration analysis, and accelerate EV introduction to dealerships and vehicle fleets
• GreenCar Hawai'i to introduce EVs to car-sharing services within the hospitality industry
• County of Kauai for charging stations and EVs for county fleets
• Honolulu for charging stations on Oahu, EVs, and an online charger permitting system
• Plug In America, $50,000, for an EV Ready Guidebook for Hawaii, along with education and outreach
The grants are designed to contribute to the state's energy goal of 70% clean energy by 2030 by reducing consumption of imported petroleum fuels for ground transportation. Data collection as well as public outreach and education about EVs are part of the contracts. See the Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism press release and the Hawaii's EV Ready Program website.