Colorado Governor Signs Low-Income Energy-Assistance and Efficiency Bills
Colorado Governor Bill Ritter signed five bills into law on May 27 that will help low-income families with their energy bills, assist families with installing energy efficiency and renewable energy improvements, and improve energy efficiency statewide.
The bills signed by Ritter:
- Allow local governments to provide below-market-rate loans to homeowners to finance home improvements for small-scale renewable energy projects, such as energy efficiency retrofits and the installation of renewable energy fixtures (House Bill [HB] 1350).
- Support Colorado's growing solar industry by aligning state and county property valuations and encouraging small-scale developers to "build green" and install solar energy systems (HB 1368).
- Help low-income families with their energy bills in both the short and long term. This legislation provides $6.5 million for emergency assistance through the state's Energy Outreach Colorado program and $6.5 million toward the Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (HB 1387).
- Add low-income housing to the list of state buildings that must be built to high performance energy standards (Senate Bill [SB] 147).
- Help low-income homeowners finance energy efficiency and renewable energy improvements through the creation of the Colorado Clean Energy Finance Program. The program allows the state to provide below-market loans to low- and moderate-income homes for the improvements (SB 184).
"These bills will continue bringing Colorado's New Energy Economy home," Ritter said. "These new laws share common objectives — investing in renewable energy and helping families cope with rising energy prices."
For more information, see the governor's May 27 press release.
To read more about renewable energy and energy efficiency projects in Colorado, see:
- Colorado news published on the EERE Web site.
- Brief project descriptions from the Colorado Energy Office published in the EERE State Energy Program newsletter, Conservation Update.
- Colorado publications listed in the EERE State Publications Database.