Connecticut Regulator Approves More Than 100 Megawatts of Renewable Generation Projects
The Connecticut Department of Public Utility Control has approved seven renewable energy projects that will supply nearly 110 megawatts (MW) of electricity to the state's regulated utilities. The projects include those that generate electricity from biomass, landfill methane gas, and fuel cells.
Each of the selected projects' developers will enter into 20-year contracts to sell the energy to either Connecticut Light and Power Company, based in Hartford, or United Illuminating Company, based in New Haven. Together, the projects will generate enough energy to be sold for an estimated $101 million to ratepayers.
The department approved the following projects:
- 30-MW biomass project to be developed in Bozrah by Clearview Energy LLC
- 30-MW landfill methane gas project to be developed in Norwalk by South Norwalk Electric Works
- 3-MW biomass project to be developed in North Canaan by Clearview East Canaan LLC
- 30-MW biomass project to be developed in Plainfield by Plainfield Renewable Energy
- 9-MW fuel cell project to be developed in Milford by DFC ERG Milford Fuel Cell and FuelCell Energy Inc.
- 2.4-MW fuel cell project to be developed in Waterbury by FuelCell Energy Inc.
- 4.8-MW fuel cell project to be developed in Stamford by FuelCell Energy Inc.
The department also approved a contingent fuel cell project in Danbury that would be developed by Triangle Fuel Cell should any of the other projects be unable to achieve operating status.
By law, the department must give preference to proposals that provide a financial benefit to ratepayers or that enhance the reliability of the state's transmission system.
For more information, see the department's January 30 press release.
To read more about renewable energy and energy efficiency projects in Connecticut, see:
- Connecticut news published on the EERE Web site.
- Brief project descriptions from the Connecticut Energy Office published in the EERE State Energy Program newsletter, Conservation Update.
- Connecticut publications listed in the EERE State Publications Database.