Ohio Adopts Recommendations on Net Metering, Interconnection, and Renewable Energy Portfolio Standards
On March 28, the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio approved a set of recommendations that address net metering, advanced metering infrastructure and demand response, interconnection, stand-by rates, and renewable energy portfolio standards. The action fulfills requirements of the federal Energy Policy Act of 2005 (EPAct 2005).
The approved recommendations include:
- Instituting a voluntary process to evaluate an advanced energy portfolio standard and green pricing program for Ohio.
- Expanding the technologies allowed for net metering and revising the rules regarding customer credits for interconnection.
- Requiring Ohio’s electric distribution companies to file reports within 30 days on the impacts of distributed generation on their transmission and distribution systems. Utilities will also prepare a report on the cost and potential of time-of-day metering that could help customers adjust their electricity usage in response to cost, which varies throughout the day.
The commission's action completes a review of Ohio rules begun in December 2005 regarding provisions of EPAct 2005, which amends the Public Utility Regulatory Policies Act of 1978. EPAct requires state regulatory agencies to make a determination regarding net metering, smart metering, cogeneration, small power production purchase and sale requirements, and interconnection of small, distributed, and renewable energy systems. During the review, the commission received comments from Ohio’s electric distribution utilities, consumer groups, energy marketers, industrial energy users, manufacturing associations, environmental councils, alternative energy corporations, farming associations, universities, and state and federal agencies.
To read more information about renewable energy and energy efficiency projects in Ohio, see:
- Ohio news published on the EERE Web site.
- Brief project descriptions from the Ohio Energy Office published in the EERE State Energy Program newsletter, Conservation Update.
- Ohio publications listed in the EERE State Publications Database.