This is an excerpt from EERE Network News, a weekly electronic newsletter.

February 19, 2003

U.S. Air Force Base, Kinko's, and World Bank Buy Green Power

The ability of companies and other organizations to reduce their environmental impact and support the development of renewable energy through green power purchases has a growing appeal to a wide range of organizations, as demonstrated by mid-February green power purchases by a U.S. Air Force Base, Kinko's Inc., and the World Bank.

Dyess Air Force Base, located near Abilene, Texas, became the largest purchaser of green power in the country on February 10th when it agreed to buy 100 percent of its electricity needs from wind power offered by TXU Energy. The contract totals 78 million kilowatt-hours per year and runs for two years. See the TXU press release.

Kinko's, a veteran green-power purchaser, has expanded its nationwide purchases of green power by 37 percent, to an estimated total of 11.2 million kilowatt-hours per year. Sixty-six Kinko's locations in California, Oregon, Pennsylvania, and Washington have recently joined in the company's commitment to green power. See the Kinko's press release.

The World Bank also joined the ranks of green power purchasers on February 11th, when it announced an agreement to buy 10 percent of the electricity used in its Washington, D.C. offices from renewable energy sources. Pepco Energy Services (PES) will draw on wind energy for 60 percent of the green power and landfill gas and other biomass energy sources for the remaining 40 percent. See the World Bank press release.

Features