First Thursday Seminar Technical Information and Troubleshooting
Are you watching a FEMP First Thursday Seminar in a group of colleagues? Don't forget to fill out and return a roster to help us track seminar participation.
First Thursday Seminars are FEMP training opportunities targeting Federal energy, environmental, and fleet professionals offered at no cost by leading experts. The following technical information is intended to help troubleshoot issues connecting to First Thursday Seminars.
Answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) are also available.
All audio and video is streamed live via the Internet. Attendees do not need login usernames, passwords, or dial-in numbers to access the training session. However, if multiple attendees plan to share the same screen, please fill out a roster to allow FEMP to track participation. Directions for submitting rosters are included on the download.
Webcast links are provided after registering through FEMP Central. You should receive a confirmation note with all needed URLs after registration. If you did not receive a confirmation note with the webcast URL, please contact email@example.com.
First Thursday Seminars will no longer be available via Windows Media Player format. Viewers MUST download the Microsoft Silverlight player prior to the seminar. In addition, please factor in these other important notes:
- Download the Microsoft Silverlight player prior to viewing the seminar.
- To avoid buffering issues, a computer with a broadband connection of at least 512 kbs per user on your local network is needed. High-speed Internet connections result in the best viewing experience.
- Test the links and viewer prior to the seminar using the test process outlined below.
- Consult your IT department with any bandwidth, player, or firewall issues or questions well in advance of watching the seminar. Most military and Federal agencies also require users to contact their IT department to request a Silverlight player download and permission to receive a live streaming webcast.
Test your system compatibility and firewall controls well in advance of the seminar by following the process outlined below.
- Test streaming media
- Test broadband speed (Java required)
- Test the Microsoft Silverlight player
- Test the presentation URL
Note: If assistance is needed, contact your local IT support. This is especially important if this is your first First Thursday Seminar experience or if you have firewall issues. Firewalls in Federal facilities are often set to block external live streaming video and need these firewall settings:
- Windows Media Server: 184.108.40.206
- Web Server/Slide Server: 220.127.116.11
- Content delivered on port 80
Contact Ed Kronhom at 877-820-0305 or 888-820-4898 to find satellite downlink sites if streaming video is not possible in your area.
Satellite Downlink Instructions
Contact your training coordinator, video facility manager, or IT department to tune into a satellite downlink facility. Broadcast downlink coordinates for FEMP First Thursday Seminars are:
1:15p-3:00p ET (including test time)
GALAXY 25 (Digital Ku)
Transponder 19 - Slot B
Format: Standard Def, 6x9, Anamorphic
Uplink: 14353 H
Downlink: 12053 V
Symbol Rate: 6.1113
1:15-1:30 ET, 12:15-20:00 CT, 11:15-11:30 MT, 10:15-10:30 PT
1:30-3:00 ET, 12:30-2:00 CT, 11:30-1:00 MT, 10:30-12:00 PT
Technical Support for Downlink Facility: 865-974-5069
If multiple attendees plan to view the seminar, please fill out a roster to allow FEMP to track participation. Directions for submitting rosters are included on the download.
FEMP First Thursday Seminars are available through all Federal Education Networks, including DETN/GETN. All Federal and military GETN site facilitators must register for First Thursday Seminars to receive illumination authentication (GETN/Warrior dishes).
Sites must register at www.dlnets.com/FEMP/telereg.htm or by calling Ed Kronholm at 877-820-0305 or 888-820-4898. To find sites near you, go to http://getn.govdl.org/ and click on Site Locations by State.
If multiple attendees plan to view the seminar, please fill out a roster to allow FEMP to track participation. Directions for submitting rosters are included on the download. Individual participants must also register via FEMP Central.