Highlights of this release (V8.2)
Core changes to EnergyPlus
- Internal simulation engine code translated from FORTRAN to C++ to spur the evolution of EnergyPlus through:
- Improved interaction with a larger community through a more popular code base, and
- improved access to code libraries for performance and enhanced capabilities.
- Language change initially caused a slightly slower codebase due to translation overhead, however several restructuring efforts in the code eventually led to EnergyPlus v8.2 being faster than v8.1 in many tests cases.
- Development transitioned to GitHub, where the source code is to be made fully public in the spirit of the open source license.
- Bug fixes throughout
- Integrated slab calculations now allow improved simulation of ground heat transfer
- Improved sizing algorithm for including fan heat in cooling coil calculations
- Improved sizing input options for scaling autosized values
- Additional plant load dispatch algorithms based on meeting component part-loading targets
- New models for single-sided natural ventilation with multiple openings
- New on/off fan option for unit heater and unit ventilator
- New fault model for coil fouling
- DOAS direct to zonal water-to-air heat pumps
- Expanded support for table lookup for plant equipment performance
- New zone air mass flow balance option (partially link HVAC flows with zone mixing and infiltration)
- Ice storage curve-fit tool
- Windows 7 - 64-bit version (32-bit may be available via Helpdesk)
- Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 and compatible) - 64-bit version (32-bit may be available via Helpdesk)
- Mac OSX 10.9 - 64-bit version
- EnergyPlus 8.2.0 has been tested on all these platforms
- EnergyPlus does intensive computations, and based on configuration, can write massive amounts of data to disk. For best performance, computers should have a substantial amount of memory and high speed hard drives.