Highlights of this release (V8.0.0.008)
The highlights – improved and new features – are displayed by category.
- Speed improvements and many bug fixes throughout.
- Weather files (EPW) from TMY3 now have corrected illuminance data.
- Updated life cycle costing price escalation data.
- Added support for sub-hourly values and interpolation for schedules that are input using a file (Schedule:File object).
- Added two new fuel type input options (OtherFuel1 & OtherFuel2) to all components that specify the type of fuel, for general use when modeling alternative energy sources, such as wood or other biofuels.
Zone and Surface Models
- Added option to choose timestep-integrated calculations for solar, shading, and daylighting for use with dynamic facade controls.
Natural and Mechanical Ventilation
- Expanded AirFlow Network support for hybrid modeling to include VAV air handlers.
HVAC and Refrigeration
- A new general-purpose plant heat exchanger model (HeatExchanger:FluidToFluid) was added for coupling and controlling all kinds of plant loops and modeling multiple secondary loops (replaces HeatExchanger:WatersideEconomizer, HeatExchanger:Hydronic, and HeatExchanger:Plate which have been removed).
- New multispeed AC Furnace for high-SEER with multistage gas or electric heating coil (AirLoopHVAC:UnitaryHeatPump:AirToAir:MultiSpeed).
- New central chiller heater system for applications such as ground source heat pump systems.
- New plant model object (PlantComponent:TemperatureSource) for a known temperature source of supply fluid, such as for river, well, or seawater once through cooling.
- Improved electric chiller condenser heat recovery modeling to include autosizing, capacity limits, inlet temperature limit, outlet temperature control, and improved chiller models to account for higher rejection temperatures.
- Added support for variable speed DX coils to be used with CoilSystem:Heating:DX and CoilSystem:Cooling:DX.
- Improved the equation-fit, single-speed, water-to-air heat pump models to include new options for cycling or constant fluid flow operation.
- The single-speed DX cooling coil model was improved to allow the option of defining performance curves for the sensible heat ratio (SHR) during operation to support 100% outdoor air systems and other low-SHR applications.
- The zone exhaust fan model was improved to allow varying flow rates, controlling on a minimum temperature limit, selecting how availability managers behave and declaring what portion of makeup air is balanced.
- Added calculation and reporting of standard ratings for HSPF and Net Heating Capacity for multi-speed air to air heat pump (Coil:Heating:DX:MultiSpeed).
- Added HVACTemplate support for detailed outdoor air specifications.
- Improved low temperature radiant hydronic systems to include options for tubing circuit length sizing calculation and multiple tubing circuits.
- Improved horizontal trench ground heat exchanger object with simpler interface to piping system objects.
Controls and User Functions
- New Functional Mock-up Unit (FMU) capability for EnergyPlus itself to be exported as an FMU for co-simulation.
- Improved capabilities for random number operations in EnergyPlus Runtime Language programs for EMS.
- Throughout the program the specific names used to describe output variables were completely overhauled to be clearer, to use consistent terminology, and to use the same names across similar components.
- New XML style option for all tabular reports.
- New LEED summary predefined tabular report.
- New ZoneComponentLoadSummary predefined report that estimates the load components during a sizing period for each zone using a pulse/decay curve method.
- IDF Editor – Added FILL RIGHT function to copy values from left most column selected to those to the right of it similar to the fill right function in spreadsheets.
- IDF Editor – Added JUMP menu item to jump to other fields in other objects that use the same name as the currently selected field.
- Weather Converter – Design day idf/imf snippets for annual and monthly design conditions as contained in ASHRAE HOF 2009 were posted to the helpdesk.
Documentation and Guides
- Documentation has been updated for all documents.
- Windows (XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8) 32 and 64 bit versions
- Linux (Ubuntu 12.04 and compatible) 32 and 64 bit versions; RHEL 5.0 compatible available on request via helpdesk.
- Mac (10.7 and 10.8) 64 bit versions
- EnergyPlus V8.0 has been tested on all of these platforms
- EnergyPlus does intensive computations, for high performance, computers should have a lot of memory and fast hard disk speeds.
And many other enhancements and speed improvements throughout.